Re: [gnome-love] video guide for gnome/jhbuild

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Hashem <hnasarat gmail com> wrote:
I'd be interested in helping out. I redid some of the jhbuild tutorial pages on live.gnome.org in January, so I understand a bit. Would probably need some help on best-practices (i.e. smoke-testing and tarball installation).

That's great!  Thank you!  We can discuss on #gnome-hackers I think.  It might be good to have a regular irc meeting of other people who are also interested in building.  Then we can work through the issues and file bugs.

We should probably restrict ourselves to only the tarballs because it's just too unstable to use git head.  We can expand later, but let's fix the ones that are currently broken.

How much longer will jhbuild be recommended until ostree is ready? Is the transition scheduled yet?

I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.  Colin wants to keep using jhbuild to keep at least things building up to GTK+.  I think that is so that we have a stable basis for the distro.

A proper tutorial for ostree would also be helpful, but we will need some volunteers to deal with that.  An overall build team would be really awesome if we can manage the volunteers.  We're at a cusp of a lot of cool and interesting things in the GNOME desktop and being able to have stable builds and images for people to test and give feedback is a big part of keeping the overall community interested.  It's the basic groundwork for a bigger volunteer effort.  So it's really important to get this working.

sri