Re: [gnome-love] Absolute Gnome beginner

HI,

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Anthony Scaife <sideshowanthony googlemail com> wrote:

Hi.

About me:
I would like to get into writing desktop applications for Linux.
I currently work as a web developer using PHP, but I am trying to get back into electronics by re-learning C++.

and so, please may I bombard you with some questions? :

Ubuntu 10.04
I currently use this operating system.
I don't even know if it is using Gnome.
Can I develop for Gnome on it?

Well it does.. Ubuntu customizes ,rather customized gnome until they chose unity as their default, gnome and ships it along with the operating system.

Simple list of things they would change
1) Default browser
2) Default set of applications
3) Wallpapers , branding
4) What version of kernel, libraries to choose for various applications.

Gnome
Just what is it? Libraries for the desktop, rendering windows, buttons, dialogs?
Is Gnome a current, and upcoming thing?

Gnome has been around for so long. From version 3, it has taken a slightly different direction, aiming at a more usable interface ( not that gnome2 was not good )
See http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/.

Development community
I don't really understand how Linux software gets developed within a disparate community.

This is something that takes time to get used to. I suggest you to read up a few wiki pages (Linux, Gnu.. etc0
C++
Is Gnome a library of compiled code (eg a file open dialog) that I can 'hook' into using C++.
Is C++ a preferred language? I might look into Python too.
Gnome has always encouraged programming in a variety of languages. The base however is in C.
There are bindings for its libraries available in various languages (C, C++, Java, Python, _javascript_,  C#...)
Programming Language remains a choice for Gnome developer (Not that every thing is supported in every language)

Where can I get started
Where can I see a 'Hello World' example, and the remaining docs.

Start at developer.gnome.org .. The best place to know various modules involved in gnome.
More answers
If you can give me any pointers on how you struggled into Gnome, or resources that helped you out then please let me know.

It would take a while to get acquainted with various facets...  You would get better help when you post issues that you face while developing applications.
This mailing list
Is this something like a help system, or newsletter or what?
Gnome Love is a place where people post 'Things to be Done' for various projects under gnome. There are other lists (gnome-shell, desktop-devel... ) for respective purposes.

Thank you for your assistance.
Anthony Scaife

Hope this helps.

Thanks,