Re: [gnome-love] Gnome3 Feedback

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 09:44:29AM +0100, Jonas Wagner wrote:
I'm not sure whether this is the right place for some gnome3
feedback. However, I hope that the feedback will be valuable for
developers of Gnome.

Mostly use gnome-shell-list, but any list is fine.

A few days ago, gnome3 entered debian testing and thus my machine.
Here are a few first impressions.

* Overall, I like it... I'm not going to switch back, even though I
have to change many of my workflows, and it's gonna need some time
to adapt.

Cool!

* My graphic card was not configured properly before the update, so
the first thing I saw was gnome3's fallback mode. There was a popup
informing me of this. It provided a link to a help page. However,
the link led to the gnome3.org homepage, and as such was absolutely
useless.

Please file a bug against gnome-shell so we can correct the link. Also
please a bug against websites so we can add a redirect. Lastly, maybe
bug against your distro to set it up immediately :)

* To ease transition, I removed my ~/.gnome2 folder... apparently,
this was not a good idea. In particular, now network-manager asks me
every time about wifi passwords. Could it be that the default
keyring is not re-created automatically? Any idea how I could fix
this?

Some stuff is still stored under ~/.gnome2 and some other directories.

* One of the first things I wanted to do was to change the desktop
background. When using System Settings > Background, I can't select
any .png file (the Open button is grayed out if I try)! It works
when I open the png in eog, then select "Set as Desktop Background"
from the context menu.

Should not happen. Please file a bug against gnome-control-center.

* Adding applications to my favorites was painful. I go to
Activities, then Applications, then select my app, then drag it to
the favorites pane. When I do this, the screen changes and displays
me the "Windows" part of the activities screen again! Why? So to add
another app, I have to again click on Applications again, select the
right category again, etc.

Please file a bug against gnome-shell or tell it on gnome-shell-list.

* Files from my ~/Desktop folder are no more displayed on the desktop :-/

* What is the best way to switch between windows? The standard
mapping of alt-tab no longer switches between two windows of the
same application. It also changes virtual desktops sometimes. I've
discovered alt-esc which works more intuitively, but the whole thing
is confusing to me, and having two similar shortcuts needs a lot of
thought.

alt-key above tab (usually alt-~) switches between existing windows.
takes some getting used to.

* Closing the last window of a desktop opens the Activities screen.
I dislike this. My workflow used to be (1) close the program I was
using, (2) type ctrl-alt-left to go to the other desktop where other
work was running. Now I need one more action, to explicitely exit
from the activities screen.

Bring up on gnome-shell-list.

* Opening a terminal on another desktop is very counter-intuitive. I
use terminals a lot, hence I added it to the favorites pane. When I
switch to a new Desktop, and click on the terminal icon in my
favorites, it changes back to the old desktop and selects some
already open terminal instead of starting a new one. I have to
explicitely drag the terminal icon to some empty space to start it
:(

Known side effect. Not sure what is planned.

* I like the fact that I can start applications on another desktop,
by dragging the app icon to that desktop. Unfortunately, it doesn't
seem to work with some applications (Firefox and Thunderbird, for
example).

Application has to properly support startup notification. File bugs with
the applications. Their startup notification support is broken I think.

* Clicking on Activities > Applications shows an alphabetical list
of all applications. Is this really useful? The list of categories
is far away, on the other end of the screen.

Very well known :P  A redesign is planned, it'll totally change it, but
only exists in mockups and might change.

* The direct search is cool! Is there a way I can extend it so it
finds every file, not just recently-used ones? Recently-used is also
a tad misleading, because files opened in non-gnome programs (or
even vim compiled with gnome support) do not get added to this list.

No idea. Ask on gnome-shell-list.

To summarize: many things I like, congratulations! It would be great
to see some pitfalls ironed out. Feel free to discuss this or ask me
if anything is unclear.

Thanks for feedback!

--
Regards,