Re: [gnome-love] sorry, newb question about gtk themes in jhbuild environment

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 1:44 AM, Robert Park <rbpark exolucere ca> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 5:10 AM, Stéphane Maniaci
<stephane maniaci gmail com> wrote:
The default GTK3 theme is named Adwaita, and you might try to locate
it in your jhbuild environment, copy it to your ~/.themes folder, set
it up and then run a GTK3 window.

What do you mean by "set it up"? I tried copying
/opt/gnome/share/themse/Adwaita to ~/.themes and that had no effect,
and then I also tried deleting /opt/gnome/share/themes/Default and
replacing it with a symlink to Adwaita and neither one caused my Gtk
window to look any different.

Yes, usually I copy my
$PREFIX/gnome-shell/install/share/themes/Adwaita to my ~/.themes
folder, then run gnome-appearance-properties and set it up. Note that
this will only change the GTK+3 windows, like the gnome-control-center
launched from the GNOME Shell system tray ("Sytem settings").

And on a personal note, I don't
think that "Gtk3 is so ugly! It looks like Windows 95. Seriously, I
want to puke." is the best feedback, plus you are talking about GTK+3
with no theme, which of course looks basic. That's why theme designers
were made for :).

Sorry if I was a little bit brash. I know it was running without a
theme and I know there's a sexy theme available, and I want it! That
was my entire point... the unthemed gtk is just awful.

Please also keep in mind that Adwaita is also a work-in-progress, so
it might not look that sexy at the moment ; I think GTK+ developers
are still working on the theming parts of the API (done via CSS now),
and once it's final and has nice documentation, I'm sure they'll
complete Adwaita and introduce more themes.

--
http://exolucere.ca