[gnome-love] Novice gnome programmer

Hello,

I'd like to write a daemon which sends mpd "now playing" song names to
Empathy. I've never programmed anything related to GNOME before and was
hoping someone could throw me some hints. I've been reading the
telepathy book and I've narrowed it down to "SimplePresence". Am I on
the right track? Can someone please point me to a similar implementation
which I could use as reference?

I've been a fedora package maintainer for quite a while now and code on
and off in my spare time. I intend to give more time to coding now. I've
been a GNOME user since F8 (which is when I started using Linux). I love
gnome-shell, and I intend to help out at the GNOME project in the
future.

Baby steps :)
--
Thanks,