[gnome-love] GNOME Applet for HDD stuff... What do you think?

Hi everybody! My name is Kevin Sarmiento and I'd like to join this comunity =).  First I have to say that I'm Colombian so excuse me if I don't write that well in English.

I wrote a message a few says ago to the Gnome Mail List in Spanish requesting a suggestion for a GNOME Applet that I wrote for a Python Course at College:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/curaviapplet/

Since I have a laptop I have complainted about the HDD life problem:

Sorry for the info (Is in spanish but in english I think is available)

I find a solution for the problem using:

This tools are amazing using the terminal, but it turns out that they don't allow monitoring the Load Cycle Count and the APM level in real time.  On the time the Applet is very helpful for me (And some friends) because we can change and monitorize these levels.  Is pretty Buggy but works =).

I asked if already exist a tools for that in GNOME or an applet wasn't really a good solution.  They answered me this:

Hombre, yo igual lo metería en el gnome-disk-utility[1], que es lo que
se usa ahora en GNOME para temas de discos y volúmenes. Además usa
gudev[2] que está muy bien para hacer cosas de hardware.

Por cierto, tanto gnome.settings-daemon como gnome-disk-utilily están
escritos en C. Aunque gudev tiene bindings de Python[3].

Saludos y bienvenido :-)

[1] http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-disk-utility
[2] http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/gudev/
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=tree;f=extras/gudev
[3] https://github.com/nzjrs/python-gudev

I think you don't need to know spanish to understand what he tried to say!  I'd like to know your opinion.

Greetings!

--
Kevin Rafael Sarmiento Mendoza
Estudiante de Ingeniería de Sistemas

"... when men were men and wrote their own device driver ..."
- Linus Benedict Torvalds