Re: [gnome-love] SW Developer want to contribute. How to start?

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Carsten Petersen <c petersen45 gmail com> wrote:
I am a sw developer with app. 40 year professional experience. I'm just retired from my latest job. But I still want to do some sw. development. E.g. to contribute to the Gnome project.
But I have absolutely none experience in Gnome development! I would like to learn, eg. a new language Python.

Welcome!  Python is easy, given your background, I'd say you'd be up and going in a week! What kind of stuff are you interested in?

The Gnome eco-system is quite large and you can probably work on any number of project that would be very welcome to someone with your skill set.

But where do I start? Which programming environment do I need?
I know MS Visual Studio very well as a professional programmer.
At home I use both Eclipse and Netbeans ides.

Well, you'll need to start with a Linux distro, of course.  Pick whatever you like.  There are a number of editors/IDEs that you can pick from.  It seems that something like monodevelop or Eclipse might be the easiest for you since you're coming from a visual studio background.  You'll also need to learn "git" as well.  Most people use the vim/emacs text editor with some integration.  It doesn't really matter what you use other than you respect the coding style and know how to create patches and mail them to maintainers.

Please give me some advices.
Can you propose a minor project, I can start with. And how to start.

As someone else mentioned, start here:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeLove

sri