[gnome-love] Correct way to create a child window?

Hello all,
    I'm just starting out on writing gnome apps and wondering is there a
correct way to create a child window from a parent and display it. process
input from the child and then when it's finished drop back to the parent.

I'm searching the web but can't find anything specific, but that maybe down to
my search string. There are probably a few ways. I could reuse my current
toplevel window remove everything out of it and re populate it with the GUI
Elements which my child needs. Then when the child terminates repopulate
again. Or I could create a brand new top level windwo and populate it leaving
the previous window in place.

This is a very basic question I know and maybe there ain't even a right answer
to it. In any case if anybody can offer any advice I'd be very gratefull.