Re: [gnome-love] gnome development - gnome goals

On Sat, 2010-12-18 at 09:44 +0800, beowulf wrote:
I'd like to try and help in gnome development. I'd like to start with
    the GnomeGoals project (sounds easy, :D), more specifically:
    http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/RemoveDeprecatedSymbols/Glib
    I'm using eclipse and git. Any advice? Best practices? How do I get the
    source for the items listed as "todo"?
    Thanks,
    ferd

Hi,

My recommendation is get and build the source with JHBuild:
http://live.gnome.org/Jhbuild

Then in Eclipse (with C development tools (CDT) installed):
1. File -> New Project... Select 'Makefile project with existing code',
'Next'.
2. Enter a project name.  Enter code location '~/checkout/gnome/project'
and select 'GNU Autotools Toolchain'. Select 'Finish'.
3. Project should now build via Project menu.
4. Select Run -> Run Configurations... Double click 'C/C++ Application'.
5. Select 'Search Project...' and select the executable, which is
normally the same name as the project often in a .libs directory.
6. Select Environment Tab, add the following environment variables.
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/gnome/lib64
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/opt/gnome/etc/xdg
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/opt/gnome/share
7. The application should now run, you can debug, set breakpoints etc.

If your project is a library, only step 1-3 applies.
If your project is nautilus or a shell component it's harder. A summary
is:
1. Run your JHBuild according the manual:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/jhbuild/unstable/jhbuild-and-gnome.html.en
2. Give your gdb permission to connect to gnomedev processes.
3. Debug via 'C/C++ Attach To Application'.

--
Craig Keogh <cskeogh adam com au>