[gnome-love] GSOC idea: improvement of gnome-network-manager

Hi all,

I've got the idea of making improvements to the gnome network manager. The improvements I'm thinking of are the following:

* Get rid of the "more networks" submenu which I think is an ugly way to make the network manager smaller.

* To keep the height of the network manager limited it might be a good idea to add a separate column for wireless networks. This might require a new GTKWidget but it's probably doable.

* This should not be done in places where only a few wireless networks are available. Also it should be possible for other network interfaces to get their own column if they offer a lot of connections.

* Currently connection strength is viewed in a way which is nicely associated with networks, but only has 5 levels. Users should be able to choose between this and the old progress bar approach (which has something like 100 levels).

* In the window where all network connections are listed, especially under the wireless tab, the networks should be listed in the order in which the NM tries to connect to them. Also it should be possible to move them up and down in this order by two simple buttons, or maybe even drag and drop if the community would turn out to ask for it.

That's pretty much it. The last point might be hard, I don't know a lot about it yet but I believe the networks might be put in the config file in an order which isn't necessarily the order in which NM tries to connect to them, correct me if I'm wrong.

So, what do you think of this Idea? Also if there are things about the Network Manager you think differently about than me, please share your ideas.

Joost van der Hoff.