Re: [gnome-love] RFC: Time Pass Ideas

Hi BVK,

I think you're on to something about changing the desktop metaphor.
It's an area that some people in computer science have looked at, but
in my opinion no great alternative has come up - there seem to always
be shortcomings.  It looks like at the fundamental level, the "file
tree" is here to stay, but I think what you're talking about is
possible at a level that the average user would see.

In fact, something remarkably similar to your suggestion was once
called "Microsoft Bob."  I guess it's still called that :)  Some good
reading on the topic can be found with a google search for "desktop
metaphor" or "interface metaphor."  Also, there's a historic tour of
Microsoft Bob at this link: http://toastytech.com/guis/bob.html - you
may recognize some Office Assistants!

- ortron