Re: [gnome-love] updating gnome on enterprise linux

Hi Don,

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 1:45 AM,  <DON RAIKES oracle com> wrote:
Hi all,

 I am needing to install enterprise linux 4 in order to support some applications from work.

 My problem is that I also need the latest gnome to ensure accessibility.
 The rpm packages are not available to update gnome to the latest and greatest on enterprise linux.

 What is the reccommended method for compiling gnome?
 Is it jhbuild or garnome or is there something better?

 I would like to get gnome up to the level it is in ubuntu 7.10 aat the very least and keep it up-to-date
from there.

How about approaching this the other way round:
- Install Ubuntu 7.10 (or 8.04).
- Install necessary compatibility stuff like libraries and older gcc versions.
- Copy over /etc/redhat-release so that installers checking for it
think they run on RHEL.
- Install your applications from work.

Of course only do this with non-business-critical stuff. In my case I
use a Ubuntu box at home to test run various SAP products. There is
the occasional glitch (e.g. wrong path of awk) but til now nothing a
little bit of googling couldn't remedy.

Another alternative is to run the RHEL applications in a virtual
machine as guests on a Ubuntu host.

Enjoy,
Zoltan