Re: [gnome-love] Where to make a policy suggestion?

--- David Berg <drberg1000 gmail com> wrote:
On 3/14/06, Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com>
wrote:
Because GUIs are easier to learn and remember. I
want
to focus on the things I am doing, not remembering
how
to apply a patch, how to get a diff out of CVS, or
how
to burn a CD.

Why?  Because some times the command line is more
efficient than any
current gui.  You may argue that if that were the
case then the gui
needs work.  I would tend to agree but, fixing the
gui is rarely
trivial and not always worthy of the time spent.
Also, GUIs can grow
to be very large.  Sticking with the CD burning
example, which is
easier:

1.  Launching Gnomebacker
2.  Waiting for it to launch
3.  Dragging the directory/selecting the files
4.  starting the backup.
5.  Repeat every time you want to burn a disk (1-4
or 3-4)

OR

1.  Run Gnome backer once to get the commandline
that works well
2.  Create an alias for that command ( burn="mkisofs
FILENAMES  | cdrecord -" )
3.  run `burn FILENAMES`
4.  repeat step 3 for every disk you want to burn

Hmm...
1. Open Nautilus burn folder
2. Burn to ISO
3. Right-click on ISO file and choose "Burn to disc"
4. Repeat step 3 as desired.

In example two I'm assuming that you already have a
terminal open --
usually the case on my desktop.

You don't necessarily have to remember some arcane
command -- thats
what alias is for.

Except that it took me ages to sort out aliases.
Because of some reason I don't understand, there is
bashrc AND bashprofile, and the docs tell you to add
aliases to one while the system reads another --
something to do with one not being an 'interactive
shell', whatever that is. When I tried to file that as
a bug it boomeranged back with the usual 'you're not
l33t enough to understand this' subtext.
We have an awful lot of legacy inconsistencies
floating around in command line space.

If I don't make any points with that, let me throw
out another reason.
 Now and then a fellow wants a task automated that
doesn't need any
user interaction ( or minimal interaction ).  When
that is the case,
one needs to know how to write a script.  (I hope
you aren't going to
try to argue that scripts are unnecessary also.)

No, they're not unnecessary.
But have you seen Apple's Automator? ;)

Many of linux users (I would wager 90% of linux
users until recent
years) use linux because of the command line (among
other reasons).

And that is one of our major problems. We're not on
the same level as the users we are hoping to reach
with GNOME.

It is definately not for everyone, but we need some
users that
understand the system intamately so that the great
programs like gnome
can continue to get developed.  The users who
already know the
information won't be with us for ever and should try
to recruit new
ones when we can.  I think making the commands
available is a great
way to do that.

Yes, that is an excellent point.

I do think this is a valid idea, and yes, if it were
to be developed I would check it out.
I am just wary of the 'command line is the ultimate'
mindset, and I tend to play devil's advocate against
it :)