[gnome-love] Suggested resource/article...

You know what would be great? If someone would write a sort of how-to article on creating good icons for Gnome applicatoins. I'm curious as to what was used to create the default Gnome icons. I'm writing gnome applications and would like for my icons to have the "gnome feel" as much as possible. As a windows developer, I remember Microsoft releasing a tutorial series on using Illustrator to make "XP" icons with alpha channels once XP came out.

Does anyone know what the icons are typically created in? Inkscape and gimp?

- Micah