Re: gnome love report page [was Re: [gnome-love] development]

On 1/14/06, Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:
On 1/13/06, Elijah Newren <newren gmail com> wrote:

Another link, which I think is underused:
  http://bugzilla.gnome.org/reports/gnome-love.cgi
that will take you to bugs marked by developers as being good projects
for people getting started.

How can we get this page better used/publicized? Do we need to link to
it from more pages? make sure it is highlighted somewhere in the
gnome-love pages? I think this report is really important, and like
you say, underused.

I'm not real sure how to do so; ideas from others would be welcome.

For those interested in helping or coming up with some ideas, here's
some verbose details about where it is used and additional abilities
that are available:

It's actually linked to from http://live.gnome.org/GnomeLove, but
probably rather poorly.  I say that, because I was the one who put the
link there, but have gone back a couple times looking for it only to
miss it and think it's been deleted or something and think I even once
only finally noticed when I went to edit the page and put it "back
in".  Normal flow of that page for anyone just skimming seems to make
people skip it, or at least does that to me.

I don't think there's any additional places to link to it in bugzilla,
and that few would find it if we put it in most other places there
anyway.  It does happen to be linked from
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/page.cgi?id=reports.html (which is linked to
from "reports" at the top of any bugzilla page) and from the product
overview page (e.g.
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=metacity, though limited
to that particular product) in the column at the right -- but most
beginners aren't probably going to think to look in either place if
they think to look in bugzilla at all.

One unused feature is that we do have an RSS version of this report
available; http://bugzilla.gnome.org/reports/keyword-search-rss.cgi?keyword=gnome-love.
 It was actually requested by Bryan Clark to give things more
prominence but neither he nor we seem to have a good place to link to
that RSS feed from.  (and I'm not totally sure it makes sense as an
RSS feed with things being shuffled in order as patch states or bug
status changes and such, but then again I just don't know much about
RSS).