[gnome-love] Development evironment

Hello gnome lovers!

I'm writing to this list to ask the veteran gnome hackers (and the not
so veteran ones too) about their development environment.

The setting is this: I only have one machine to do my hacking
experiments where I'm currently using Fedora Core 6 but don't want to
install rawhide because I also need this machine to do serious
university work. Yet, I'd like to tinker with the latest gnome and
related projects.

To this end, I'm thinking of various possibilities:

1. Install rawhide or even fc6 on qemu. Very slow and wouldn't let me
properly tinker with things like hal, X, etc.

2. Like the previous but in xen. I've never user xen and thus I'm not
really aware of how it deals with hardware etc.

3. Use a chroot and install everything I want from source there. Too
tedious and a mantainability nightmare I think.

4. Install from source under another user in said user's $HOME. I'm
leaning to this one, but will I be able to test new "core"
infrastructure like X, dbus, hal, etc? Also I think there would be some
problems with installing gconf schemas and be sure that I'm not mixing
the stable distro code with the development one at run time.

So, what are your prefered environments? And btw, jhbuild or garnome?
Neither?

Thanks all for your answers,

Rui