[gnome-love] compiling gnome-hello

Hi list.
Another newbie's rolled in ;)

I'm trying to compile gnome-terminal... yes, this is
way beyond my capabilities, but there's a bug in it
that's bugging me ;)

So I thought I'd try something simpler and I found the
gnome-hello module.

I found this document which seems to go with it:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/GGAD/ggad.html

However it talks a lot about Gnome 1.0. Is it up to
date?

I got a bit lost halfway down the 'Creating Your
Source Tree' page with all the talk of automake,
autoconf, etc.
Then this bit amused me: "A file called INSTALL that
explains how to compile and install the package."
gnome-hello doesn't have an INSTALL file ;)

Not to be deterred, I tried running autogen.sh and got
a lot of errors, such as:

  gnome-compiler-flags.m4 not found
  libtool.m4 not found
  glib-gettext.m4 not found
  intltool.m4 not found
  pkg.m4 not found

Is there an idiot-proof guide to getting started that
I haven't found yet?
Failing that, do you need help writing one?

Joachim