Re: [gnome-love] Nautilus behaviour

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 10:32:41AM +0000, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
To me, workspaces seem to be a bit of a throwback and don't integrate
very well with GNOME.  Eg, I launch OpenOffice in workspace 1. I'd
like to switch to workspace 2 and do stuff while OOo is loading. But
OOo pops up its window in 2, rather than 1 where I launched it.

That's quite a common problem. E.g. with the ion window manager, it
would be quite nice to have programs be placed in the frame where you
invoked them. Unfortunately it's nigh-on impossible to relate an xlib
Window to the process that created it, in a generic sense. In some cases
you can get the PID of the spawning process from the Window but that is
only of use if the X client and server are on the same machine.

I suppose an application could record the workspace that is active when
it starts, do all the hard loading stuff, and make sure to create itself
on that workspace when it finally pops up: in theory.

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/