Re: [gnome-love] GNOME Hackers Kickstart Guide 1.0 Released

On Tue, 2005-08-03 at 12:15 +0000, madan m raj wrote:
Hello Hackers,

            Releasing the GNOME Hackers Kickstart Guide 1.0
Check out the guide at
http://www.gnomebangalore.org/?q=node/view/649

The guide is for those who like to start hacking GNOME. It includes
the steps to build GNOME, Tools used, How to Hack gnome, example hack.
and so on..

Thanks to the GNOME team at gnomebangalore.org who helped me a lot to
finish this guide.

Happy Hacking
Madhan Raj M

I read the part on jhbuild with great interest, since I have had
horrible (!!) problems getting anything to build from it, but it
appeared to contain some questionable advice wrt environment variables
IIRC.

Specifically I was under the impression one of the core features of
jhbuild is that it would hide the complexity of maintaining a module as
big as Gnome in a separate and distinct prefix. Yet you appear to change
a lot of env variables which appear to result in things
like /opt/gnome2/lib showing up in the regular user's LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
But maybe I'm totally wrong.

Also there appear to be env variables, such as ACLOCAL_PATH being
defined as two separate things in two separate places.

Anyways I think its an awesome start, and hope you have time to clear up
and organize some of the things I was confused about. The more the
merrier!

Cheers,
Ryan