Re: [gnome-love] example request: The Saga Continues

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 11:28 -0400, ethan zimmerman wrote:
Okay so I fixed the dialog bugs in Keith's example code using a "show
and hide" method (and I added cut/copy/paste functionality too) and was
already to send it back to the list when I saw Keith's reply about the
bug. He recommended a different method which I altered slightly and now
call the "create and destroy" method. So I now offer both examples to
the list for comments/discussion/feedback.

http://www.ethanzimmerman.com/stuff/gnome-love-examples.tar.gz

Some of my thoughts are...
 - I like the "create and destroy" method more primarily because it
breaks things up into more functions

 - The only thing I don't like about the "create and destroy" is that
the main window never receives the destroy signal (the quit button just
calls gtk_main_quit). I don't know why but to me this seems like "not
cleaning up after yourself" I would think you would want to destroy the
main window and then once all your work is done and you've "put away all
your toys" then you call gtk_main_quit. Are these reasonable concerns or
am I just being crazy?

Well you could add any amount of code in the quit button callback before
the call to gtk_main_quit.  That code could do the cleanup for you.  Or,
you could add code after the call to gtk_main in the main function,
again the code you add here could clean things up.

No longer frustrated or confused

Glad to here it :-)

Keith.