Re: [gnome-love] Which distro?

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:33:45 +0100 (BST)
news optimistic co uk wrote:
Greetings to all fellow Gnome lovers!
I'm a bit of a newbie here-abouts, and I've just discovered Gnome 2.2.
I need a little help, however.
Here is the situation:

- I really like Gnome, especially Gnome 2.2
- I presently can only use Linux on one machine, a 500Mhz AMD with
400MB RAM.- I have tried this machine running SuSe with KDE, it was
pretty smooth.- I dislike both SUSE and KDE strongly - especially
because you have to pay for it (I am a student), and my version did
not come with any development tools.- I have also tried this machine
with RedHat 9 + Gnome 2.2.- This seemed to be horribly un-responsive
(especially compared with Windows/SuSe)- I thought that Debian might
be a bit faster.- I tried Debian Woody, liked its net-install feature
very much but found it only came with Gnome 1.4.- I tried Debian
Sarge, but discovered that it was pretty impossible for someone like
me to install. Doing a chroot install seemed to me like a bit of a
headache.

I am now looking for a distro which will run Gnome as efficiently as
possible and be reasonably easy to install (i.e. no self-builds, no
chroot etc.).

Anyone have any bright ideas?
Love to all Gnome lovers,

Mandrake is really nice and runs Gnome real smoothly. There is packages
out for the lates gnome if you run the development version "Cooker", and
if you want the stable version, then you get gnome 2.2

--
Navn  : Kim Schulz      | Customer: "I've just installed Windows 98..."
Email : kim @ schulz.dk | Tech Support: "And?" Customer: "The computer