Re: [gnome-love] Latest Stable Versions

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 10:12:36PM -0500, John J. Boyer wrote:
Where can I find the latest stable versions of Gnome components such as
glib, gtk_, etc.? Ok, I'm new to application development in Gnome. I've
got Havoc Pennington's book, but it's convenient to ask.

OK, there is good news and bad news here...

First the bad news: Havoc's book was written for GTK+ 1.2 and GNOME 1.x
applications. Since then, we have moved onto GTK+ 2.0 and GNOME 2.0. So
there has been some movement forwards since the time of that book. At
the present time, there is no published equivalent of GGAD (although a
few people are saying they will write one if they have time).

The good news is that the book is still moderately useful if you are new
to GLib/GTK+/GNOME development. However, after reading parts of the
book, you then need to have a look at
http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/porting-guide/ and read what has
changed between the two versions.

As far as locating the latest stable packages of everything, have a look
at http://www.gnome.org/start/2.0/ for information on where to download
and how to get pre-built packages or scripts to build them yourself.

If you are just beginning to develop GNOME applications, it would be
really worth your while to start using the 2.0 releases, since very few
people are supporting the GNOME 1.4 packages any longer and everybodys'
brains are focused on how to develop with the new stuff.

Cheers,
Malcolm