[gnome-love] Re: Canvas redraw priority

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 00:14, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
Hello,

The GNOME 1 version used GTK_PRIORITY_DEFAULT as the idle priority. With
GNOME 2, Glib's HIGH priority completely removes any smoothness (which is
to be expected since it blocks canvas redraws until the mouse's motion is
stopped), but even LOW isn't nearly as smooth as the GNOME 1 version was.

Could I get even a negative response (as in, 'yes the 2.0 canvas is
ass-slow compared to 1.4') here please? Wether we move to GNOME 2 or not
is going to seriously affect the Guikachu roadmap.

The 2.0 canvas is bletcherously slow.  So slow I am contemplating a
switch to the simplified 'foocanvas' module.

Most likely this is due because we are rendering into a pixmap, and then
rendering this pixmap into Gtk's own double-buffered pixmap, which is
later moved into the screen.

So we have two double buffering systems in place with the canvas, there
should only be one.

The canvas calls gtk_widget_set_double_buffered (canvas, FALSE), so that
is not the case here.

Anders