Re: [gnome-love] New to the list

From: Dennis Smit <synap area101 penguin nl>

On Mon, 2001-11-12 at 23:41, Filipe Maia wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I would like to contribute to the gnome project and i was told
> to present myself in this list.
> My name is Filipe Maia, 19 years old, from portugal, colledge
> student.
Welcome Filipe Maia! .

> I know c and c++. I've a small experience with gtk+.
> I know english and portuguese.
>
> I would like to contribute in what i can (translation, testing,
> coding).
> Any suggestions?
As user you ofcourse should always submit bugs when finding what
(testing) ..
Maybe it is a nice start to start with some translations and in the
mainwhile

Start looking for something to code. now!
Pick a project that no one is maintaining right now or
pick a small utility that is missing.
That's what I did. I decided to write a small paint app. In the
first 2 weeks only wrote about 200 lines because each time I
tried to write a new feature I had to read tonnes of docs but
in the last week the app grew to 1000 lines. It loads images,
displays them, lets you scribble on them and a few more things.

I'm planning a release in about 3 weeks. When I get stuck on
something and the docs aren't helping I mail this list.

Contributing to an existing project is an option but I find
it easier to work on a fresh project (you can't get lost in
your own code!). I believe some of the gnome-games and
gnome-utils aren't being actively maintained (?).

Once you've coded an app, if you want to do testing you'll
be a much better tester... :)