Re: [gnome-love] GNOME user environment brainstorming

On 25 May 2001 06:24:30 +0200, Thomas Broyer wrote:

What I'd really like is "merged" menus. Currently, the Programs menu
is
system wide and users can't modify it.
What I'd like is that the system-wide "menu" only suggest menu items, the
user may choose to hide some of them, reorder them, he can also add it's
own items. User settings keeps track of item order, hidden system items and
user-defined items.
When a new application is installed, a system-wide item is created. As it
is not specifically hidden, it appears in the menu (at the bottom, or
somewhere else if the user choose to always keep his menu sorted
(alphabetically, with folders before or among "leaf" items, etc.). Then the
user can choose ot hide it or move it.
Ideally, the user may choose to move a system item into another menu
folder. This seems a bit harder to handle (a simple way would be to hide
the system item and copy it to the other folder, but it is then not
synchronised with the system item...)

Use links.