Re: [gnome-love] It's all about the medals you're wearing.

Whoops!  I always forget to reply to all on some mailing lists.  Thanks
to Mr. Celorio for pointing this out.

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: Caleb J. Land <bokonon rochester rr com>
To: Chema Celorio <chema ximian com>
Subject: Re: [gnome-love] It's all about the medals you're wearing.

On 25 May 2001 15:37:58 -0500, Chema Celorio wrote:
I am impressed how many people have signed to the gnome-love
mailing list. This shows how many people are interested in
making GNOME better. We now have 166 subscribers! this is
just awesome.

[Cut lots-o-good-stuff]

I agree with all of the stuff that you wrote... I just decided a couple
of days ago that I would begin to learn how GNOME works.  The first task
I completed, though, didn't teach me anything, but it allowed me to more
easily use the trashcan in nautilus on XFS.  I really believe that small
stuff like this and the ghex problem that you mentioned are not only
great places to get started, but also things that one can be proud of,
because if he can fix a bug that effects everybody, he has influenced
how more people use their computers than if he had added a complicated
feature to a big app that fewer people use.  In other words one cannot
assume that the number of lines of code in a patch directly indicate the
total weight of the contribution.

I found such a problem today (I think, it doesn't seem intuitive the way
it works now). When one makes a drawer in the panel, and clicks the icon
to open it, he cannot close it by clicking the drawer again, he has to
click the close arrow.

Anyway, thanks for the encouraging speech!