Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: [gnome-love] GNOME user environment brainstorming

"rpmuldoon students wisc edu" wrote:

3. "Favorites" should allow applications as well as documents/urls.
Web pages and such should be treated on par with applications.

I'm not a big fan of the "Favorites" [yeesh, someone tell these
Americans
how to spell :P] menu...and from what I understand talking to George
about
the new menu stuff, this could be eliminated, or at least [which I think
is
a better option] be replaced by 'My Documents' or 'My Favorite
Documents'
[or some sort of other variation] which contains docs, bookmarks, news
items
etc...
I think duplicating launchers to apps in there is a bit pointless...I
know
I would never use it anyway....and would far prefer putting the launcher
either on the panel or in it's proper position in the menus.

Also, with gconf-based preferences, something that would *totally* kick
ass is some means of doing roaming preferences.  So, no matter where I log
on to a gnome computer, I can download my gconf settings for how my desktop
should behave.  That would simply be unbelievably cool.  It would probably
be at least half of a solution for making locked down configurations.

Oh, this would be totally cool and would make the system administrators
life a
piece of cake if all desktop preferences could have the option of -

 a) getting configuration from a single source
 b) have the option of being locked down [ie. non-configurable]

I'm not totally sure with the idea that this is a styleguide
decision?...but
what work needs to be done for this to be thought about seriously and
not
thrown on the blue sky wishlist? - I think it's important.

                        See ya,
                                Glynn ;)

/me spell checks for the third time before sending :/