[gnome-love] Re: GNOME user environment brainstorming

On 24 May 2001 19:32:30 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

Glynn Foster <glynn foster ireland sun com> writes:
Windows has My Computer in addition to the start menu which contains
things like Control Panel, Dial-up Networking, etc.

I'm very much for splitting desktop settings and preferences up from
system settings. On a network, users shouldn't have access to sytem
stuff - if this was somehow conditionally shown depending on whether
the user was root or not

Sure Glynn, and after we spend hours explaining to the users why logging
in as root is bad.

If you start showing new users to the desktop all this stuff, they are
going to start getting confused very quickly.

Right, so our thought is to have two folders:

 Havoc Pennington's Preferences
 System Settings

Good idea to be smart about simply not displaying system settings in
some situations.

There was some talk at GUADEC about removing non-useful applets from
the core and I completely agree. What about having some proviso that
the appets are a) useful b) run on all platforms that support GNOME?

Well, criterion a) would eliminate Wanda the Fish, which is blatantly
unacceptable ;-)

And the volume control, and the battery applet for laptops, probably the
CD player applet, and the modem lights...

In the end, we should butcher old apps, get somebody to rewrite them, or
even fix them. Most of the "little apps" in the gnome-utils are 1)
useless, or 2) ugly or 3) broken.
If you read the KDE Kernel Cousin on http://kt.zork.net , you'll see
that KDE people don't mess around.

Cheers