Re: Patches [was: Re: [gnome-love] Re: [gnome-love]Wow.]

I usually go to the top level of the module and do a diff against what is
in CVS:

    cvs diff -uRN > CHANGES

This produces a very readable patch and merely lists filenames which have
appeared but are not in CVS.  Even better, if you keep your .cvsignore
files up-to-date (listing all generated files which don't belong in CVS),
then it doesn't even list any of the files which are generated :)

The only problem I see with using this for folks without CVS accounts is
that it may not handle new files which you create properly.  (If you have
a CVS account, you 'cvs add' them before doing your diff.)  I imagine
there is a flag to deal with this however.

Make sure you update the ChangeLog before doing your diff. The script
prepare-ChangeLog.pl is very helpful for this since it lists all of the
files you modified.

The Nautilus team uses these patches for almost every CVS commit since
we do patch review.

I'm not sure if these sort of things are documented anywhere.  If not,
perhaps we should discuss this in some introductory GNOME hacking document
which discusses the tools and conventions.  Does anybody know if such a
document exists?

Dan