[gnome-love] New gtop idea. (fwd)

I sent this a while ago, but it didn't seem to get through.  Sorry if you
get it twice!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:05:08 +0100 (BST)
From: Bill Bland <wjb netpd com>
To: gnome-love gnome org
Subject: New gtop idea.

Hello all,
        I noticed the discussion about a new gtop.  This may be a stupid
idea, but I have a suggestion that I would like to put forward
(unfortunately I'm working on other things so I can't do it myself).
Wouldn't it be cool if I could open a terminal and "drag" an application
from gtop into the terminal?  The desired effect, of course, would be that
the standard input and output streams of the process would be connected to
the terminal (would it also be possible to have the terminal become the
parent of the dragged process?).  I know that I would find plenty of
uses for such a feature, as would the people who I work with.
Of course there would be restrictions.  You wouldn't want any user to be
able to "steal" a process belonging to root, but perhaps only root could
get other people's processes - any other user should only be able to drag
and drop their own processes.

I'm not entirely sure if what I've described is technically feasible, or
a good idea.  Comments welcome!

Best wishes,
                Bill.