[gnome-love] Re: Transaction Services

On Fri, 2001-08-24 at 05:58, Ryan Marsh wrote:
Gnome has a great CORBA and activation framework I was wondering if
anyone had given any thought to starting a Online Transaction Processing
Server project? I don't know if Mono would conflict with this in scope
(does .NET offer any transaction container?). I just though it would be
great if Linux (et.al.) had a great open-source transaction server like
Weblogic, TUXEDO, MTS, or IBM TXSeries (now part of websphere).
Companies spend large amounts of money on these and right now there is
only one succesful open-source middleware server JBoss. I feel that we
could build a better one.

I think it would be awsome to be able to build business objets in the
language of my choice (Python, C, C++, Perl, etc..) and have them run in
a robust open-source transaction environment. All the building blocks
are there. What do you guys think?

I was tossing a few names around in my head, my favorite:
G-SPOT (Gnome Server for Portable Object Transactions)

that's something that's been in my mind (doing some open-source
Tuxedo-like project) for a long time. In fact, it's something I'd been
thinking to build on top of gnome-db (http://www.gnome-db.org), for the
database access.

I think it would be a great project to have, so please start working on
it :-)

cheers