Re: Setting preferred applications

Am Samstag, den 30.11.2019, 18:44 +0000 schrieb Tony Houghton:

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 20:54, Volker Wysk <post volker-wysk de>
wrote:
Hi!

I know how to set some preferred applications in Einstellungen ->
Informationen -> Vorgabeanwendugen (~ system settings ->
information ->
default applications). But how to set the preferred PDF viewer
and
terminal emulator?

I don't think GNOME has a way to set a preferred terminal emulator,
but in Debian, Ubuntu etc you can use the update-alternatives command
to set x-terminal-emulator.

I've done:

update-alternatives --set x-terminal-emulator /usr/bin/xterm

... and the symbolic link in /etc/alternatives got changed. But when I
do "open in terminal" in nautilus, then it's still the GNOME-Terminal.

You can configure which app to use for certain filetypes, eg use
evince for PDF, when they're opened in the Nautilus file manager.
Right click on a file of that type, select "Properties" from the
menu, then select the "Open with" tab. Choose the application then
click "Set as default".

Yes, that's it. It has already been said in the other message.

Sorry, I am also ignorant of the German translations for these.

I find it, when I have the English name. No problem.

Good bye,
Volker