RE: Cannot start a gnome-3.28.x wayland session with elogind

Any suggestions on how to start a gnome wayland with elogind (mutter-3.28.2 is compiled against
it) would be gratefully received.

I've compiled gnome-3.28.x and can start an X11 session by calling gnome-session from startx.

I know wayland works because I can start weston like this:

$ XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1001 weston-launch

..and it reports WAYLAND_DISPLAY=wayland-0

However, when I try to start a gnome wayland session like this:

$ XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1001 gnome-session

..I get:

(gnome-shell:2746): mutter: Failed to create backend: Unable to open display, DISPLAY not set
gnome-session-binary[2722]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1

I've verified that elogind is running and setting $DISPLAY does not change anything (isn't it
for
X11?).

Is there a better mailing list to use to ask questions like this?

I can't find a mutter mailing list, does one exist?

Meanwhile I've managed to get as far as:

$ gnome-shell --wayland
..
gnome-shell:22377): mutter WARNING: Can't initialize KMS backend: Could not get session ID: No
such file or directory.

Is there an equivalent to "weston-launch" for gnome-shell?

Which version has your gdm?

Gdm-3.28.0 is installed (because gnome-session/gjs will fail without the gdm typelib being present),
but not used.

I'm also not using any gdm equivalent.

But files of gdm are there.
gdm 3.28.0 and 3.28.1 have Bugs.

gdm 3.28.2 should be installed.

There was apparently ransomware Installation attempt in gdm 3.28.0 over two weeks ago.

I compiled and installed gdm-3.28.2, but it did not change anything.

In complete Installation of gnome - Did you install and compile each package separated?

gnome packages should have altogether Version 3.28.2

I know that currently Ubuntu 18.04 has trouble with gnome, gdm and gnome-shell too
(Update is still in process there...) - But in solus Linux all is now working properly.

I discovered that, using su from shadow, I can initialise elogind using the following:

su - $USER

..where I am already $USER.

Then both wayland and X11 sessions work :)

John