Facing problems with GNOME Characters

Hello,

I'm using GNOME 3.22.2 as shipped with Debian 9. I find that the old
Character Map (gucharmap, I assume), which was the default character map
application in GNOME 2 has been replaced with a new generation JavaScript
one.

It looks cool, but doesn't show any non-English letter unless you
explicitly search for it. What was the cause for this replacement?

I didn't find anything related to the character map application on
gnome.org to file a bug, and that's why I'm using this list. Should I use
some other list? Or even Debian's ones (if this is a Debian-specific
issue)?

Nandakumar Edamana