Re: Re : Desktop Display of Website Alerts

On 05/13/2013 09:37 AM, Mark James wrote:
[Re-posting in plain text.]

On 13/05/13 07:27, gnome-list-request gnome org wrote:
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 10:38:59 -0400
From: Summers Pittman<secondsun gmail com>
Has the Gnome team thought about working with Mozilla to allow Gnome
to display notifications from their SimplePush API?

http://jbalogh.me/2012/01/30/push-notifications/
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Services/Notifications/Push/API

This would allow websites to send (requested) alerts to Gnome
desktops, even if the alert recipient doesn't use Firefox, or isn't
currently running Firefox.

Or is there some other better way?

Mark
I'm not part of the Gnome team, but I think it might be a better idea to
create some a daemon which listens for simple push and then uses dbus to
communicate the notification.

Back of the napkin math looks thusly:

App is installed:
App sends a message to dbus telling the daemon to Register with a PushServer
Daemon receives an Endpoint from the Push server and sends a message via
dbus
App receives an Endpoint from dbus  and sends this to the App Server

Message is Received:
Daemon receives the message and extracts the UAID
Daemon sends the message on dbus
DBus routes the message to the app based on the UAIDof the message

App is uninstalled:
App sends a notification to dbus.
Dbus routes the message to the daemon
Daemon unregisters the app

App is garbage collected:
It would be reasonable for the SimplePush daemon to periodically review
which apps have consumed push messages and unregister applications which
haven't been used in a while.

You're right Summers, it would be better for there to be a SimplePush daemon for various OSes, which under Linux would generate dbus messages that Gnome can display.

By "App" do you mean a desktop application program?
Yes
Aren't alerts for these working already, such as the new-email alerts sent by Thunderbird?
Yes.
The new thing here is to allow users to request alerts from websites and have them delivered to the desktop even if the website is not open, and even if a browser is not open.
And even if the application which requested to be subscribed to them isn't open.

What we are really missing is a unified API for hosting message services and sending messages to devices. Think Google Cloud Messaging for the Desktop.

Given the existence of a SimplePush service such as the one run by Mozilla, and a SimplePush daemon that listens for notifications from the service and delivers notifications via dbus, all you need is to give browsers the ability to register notifications with the service, and give websites the ability to push notifications to the service.
Not just browsers but also desktop applications.

Only Firefox can currently do this, and I'm not sure they'd be willing to run notification servers that can be used by non-Mozilla browsers and desktops. Perhaps the solution is just to make available dbus daemons for commercial alert offerings like AlertRocket and XendApp. Or instead some open standard with servers hosted by some giant like Google.