Re: GNOME 3.8 and the "new" Classic Mode using 3D acceleration

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 09:22:44PM +0100, . wrote:
So now that GNOME 3.8 has "Classic Mode"[1] I'll see how loud my
notebook's fan gets, since from the picture it seems that it uses 3D
acceleration. 3D acceleration was always something which gets my (and my
friends') notebook fan very loud and decreases battery time. 3D for
desktop, at least for older notebooks, is unnecessary (I don't know if
=Sandy Bridge notebook are louder too when using 3D).

GNOME uses only the most basic features of a GPU. There is no reason
that this would noticeably increase the power usage. I assume you're
using the nouveau drivers. They lack the ability to control the fan,
etc. If you'd use a recent Windows version on the same laptop you'd
notice that with the same hardware and more graphical effects, the power
usage will be better than GNOME 2.x.

--
Regards,
Olav