gdm & starting pulseaudio

Does anyone know how pulseaudio is supposed to be started for gdm/gnome-shell sessions?

A test VM of a freshly installed Fedora 16 is, I think, showing gnome-settings-daemon starting a pulseaudio process (directly or indirectly). But my main PC is not starting one, causing errors when gnome-shell & g-s-d try to use *my* one after I've logged in.

I'm running out of places to ask, seems *no-one*'s got a clue (no responses on several mailing lists now) :-/

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature