Re: Regarding development of an application for Gnome

On Wed, 2012-02-29 at 17:54 +0530, Atri Sharma wrote

> I am Atri Sharma.I am a C++ developer.
> I had an application in mind which I believe can be implemented on
> gnome.
> All the FOSS developers have a set of applications and tools which are
> needed regularly.Accessing them seperately can be time consuming.My
> system would give the developer a single GUI from where he/she can
> code,manage their task and bug lists,stay connected on IRC,manage
> their projects,access the repository,run diff/patch with a single
> click,set their status,manage their projects,access the terminal and
> many other features.

I think gnome-shell does this. :)

But there is a lot under "manage their projects" or "manage their
tasks".   Applications like Evolution do tasks, and others like
Monodevelop support TODO features.

It would be *much* more interesting [speaking as a *user*] to see more
integration of these applications rather than yet-another-IDE or plugin
scheme.   Like how about having my IDE's projects appear as TODO folders
in Evolution and the discovered TODO's as tasks? etc...  Much of this
can be accessed via D-Bus so any app can use it.

There are first rate applications for many of these tasks you describe;
integration will get you further than reinvention.

For instance there are Eclipse plugins for everything you describe.  But
I don't want to wed myself to Eclipse,  I want to use the real
applications when I need the power.

> I am more than willing to implement it.If the community approves of my
> idea,I shall immediately  commence designing the system.

Open Source is a do-acracy. Those that contribute determine the
direction.  You don't need to ask for community approval.  Do, and if it
is quality work, people will pick it up.