Re: Password Problem

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:10:21AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> When the gnome desktop signs me out due to inactivity it shows a screen
> with my name on it and asks for a password.  It wont accept my password,
> the same password I used to start gnome.

Which distribution? Seems like the files in /etc/pam.d are not correct
(differences between *gdm* files and *gnome-screensaver* ones.

> I can get around this by clicking the change user button and then
> entering my user name and password.

This would likely use another pam file, and then work.

> Since I am the only user and I have only one password this doesn't make
> sense.

Suggest to look into those files, and it really seems like either a
local problem, or a distribution

> Now that I think about it, I don't really want the desktop to timeout at
> all.  I am the only user and the only person with access to my computer.
> I'll check to see if there is a set the timeout interval to infinity.

You can change that under power in system settings IIRC.

--
Regards,
Olav