Re: tracker

>Just installed the newest SUSE, deselected tracker during the install
> (with a 'break gnome' error msg), after the reboot the gnome wm is not

If you proceeded through a "break gnome" error then you should expect
GNOME to be broken.

You need to reinstall the packages that were removed.  Re-applying the
GNOME pattern may correct the problem.

>an option. Why do I need to *have* tracker installed to get the gnome
> wm?

Beats me; there must be a dependency somewhere [although I've seen
people on the list claim to have removed it without issue].

On the other hand - removing it is a pointless effort.  You can simply
disable it.  Or use it - it rocks!