clipboard in gnome-terminal

The clipboard in gnome-terminal for RHEL6 does not behave the same way as it
does in RHEL5.  When I highlight text in a
gnome-terminal, the middle mouse
button does not paste that text.  I have to copy it using the right-click pop
up and paste it the same way.  Before, any text highlighted would paste with
the
middle mouse button.  The reverse also does not work.  I cannot highlight
text from an application and use the middle mouse button to paste it into a
gnome-terminal.

The writeup in the following link is the way I expect it to work:

http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-terminal/stable/gnome-terminal-usage.html.en

Is this a configurable behavior?  xterm and other applications does this right,
but not
gnome-terminal (any more).

Thanks,

-- Wayne.