Re: Not disappointed in Gnome3 -- but I do have some how to questions !

Thanks Magnus Therning;

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 09:02 +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 23:19, William Case <billlinux rogers com> wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > Using Fedora 15, the CTRL + up/down key to switch between work spaces
> > doesn't seem to work for me.  Any suggestions?
>
> I need to use CTRL+ALT+up/down for this.

1) Thanks. Works like a charm.  They should make sure that it is clearly
documented somewhere -- or in several places.

> > Is there any way I can set up a right hand hot spot or screen edge so
> > that when the mouse cursor hovers over or near the right edge I get the
> > overview but with the full view of the workspaces on the right so that I
> > can just click on a new/different workspace?
>
> I can see the usefulness of this, currently I believe you need to get
> into "overview mode" (either by moving to the top left corner or by
> pressing the logo key) before a workspace overview is available on the
> right.

2) Yes the question becomes how smoothly and logically you can get into
overview mode.  In a sense it is no different than when Gnome had
disappearing panels that reappeared when you hovered the mouse over
their location.  It just seems a natural gesture to me.  Particularly if
the workplaces opened fully displayed with this gesture and not as a
thin bar on the right that you have to place the cursor on to get a full
view.

3) To make me content, at least for a short while, I would like to be
able to designate which workspace applications opened in in in the
startup file.  For example, I do a lot of writing.  When I login or
re-boot, I would like Firefox to be open in one workspace, evolution and
X-chat open in another workspace, and all my writing tools -- OOo
Writer, dictionary, thesaurus and calculator available in another
workspace.  I have fancier requests for this but they can wait.

Just checking with the user's list to see if I am alone, or if I should
file a request for enhancement.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 15, Gnome 3.0.2