Re: gnome 3: how to add "Desktop", "Documents", "Downloads" etc to favorites?

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 08:14 +0200, Christian Resnik wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm giving Gnome 3 on Fedora 15 Beta a spin at the moment and I can't
> figure out how to add Desktop, Documents, Downloads or any other
> pre-configured folder to the Favorites (Activities).
> The only folder I can add is Files which is then displayed in Nautilus
> as "Home".
>
> Can somebody give me a hint?

I don't think you can add folders to the dash right now. Files
isn't really a folder. It's Nautilus, the application. And it
happens to open your home folder by default.

The applications are just specified by .desktop files, so you
could create .desktop files that launch Nautilus in the folder
you want. These will then show up in the applications overview,
and you can drag them to the dash.

For example, to access your Vidoes folder, make a file called
nautilus-videos.desktop that looks like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Videos
Comment=Access videos
Exec=nautilus /home/cresnik/Videos
Icon=system-file-manager
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Utility;Core;

I'm assuming your username is "cresnik". Adjust the path if
it's something else. You need to put this file in the folder
.local/share/applications under your home folder. To get to
that folder in Nautilus, press Ctrl+H to show hidden files.

Once the file is there, GNOME should automatically add it
to the list of applications. Then you can launch it or drag
it around or whatever else you want to do.

--
Shaun