Bitstream Vera Sans not embedding

I have Fedora 11, x86_64 with Gnome desktop. The Bitstream Vera family
came with the Gnome desktop, at least reading the license leads to that
conclusion. I viewed the license with Fontmatrix. And the license
contains no prohibitions on embedding. In fact, it is about as open a
font license as I've ever seen.

When I export to PDF from OOo 3.1.1 the Bitstream Vera Sans fonts are
not being embedded. If I print to PS file they are also not embedded.
If I print to a Laserjet the driver substitutes either Times or
Courier, depending on whether I use a Postscript driver or a PCL driver.

Does anyone know what is going on?