new windows in dual screen (also: screensaver)

Hi.  Recently I’ve started to use dual monitors (by attaching an extra
monitor to my laptop and using `xrandr --output VGA-0 --left-of LVDS`
).  It generally works well with gnome, but it annoys me that new
windows always open in the left monitor – even though the right one is
the “main” screen (the one with the bars).  Is there a way to
configure in which screen new windows will pop up? I’m running gnome
2.22.3 on debian stable.

Also, this is a minor issue, but… gnome makes the background spans
both monitors, which is fine with me; however, gnome-background puts
one image in each screen instead.  Can one make gnome-background span
a single image through both screens?