Re: auto mount works, but "you are not privileged ..." message

Hi Desmond,

On Jul 21 13:28, Desmond Armstrong wrote:
> >running Gnome under Fedora 13, I have a strange problem when auto
> >mounting a certain CF card.  I need this card to be mounted with
> >shortnames=lower, but since gnome has no way to change the mount
> >options, I created an /etc/fstab entry using the UUID for this drive,
> >like this:
> >
> >UUID=4DCC-F3FA /media/myCF vfat noauto,user,rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=23345,gid=11125,shortname=lower,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush 0 0
> >
> >This worked fine at first, then I switched to the XFCE4 desktop for
> >a while for testing purposes.  Now that I switched back to the Gnome
> >desktop, I get this weird behaviour.
> >
> >When I plug in the CF card, it gets mounted into /media/myCF.  However,
> >at the same time a dialog appears:
> >
> >   Failed to mount "MYCF"
> >
> >   You are not privileged to mounnnt the volume "MYCF".
> >[...]
>
> I see this problem quite a lot.
> The main cause of the problem is that the device is unplugged
> without first unmounting, even with M$ this can cause problems.
>
> The way to deal with the problem is the set the mount point of the
> device to 'no mount point'
> Also after you have done this you may need to apply, as root:-
>
> # cd /media
> # ls
> then
> # cd /media//'your card'/
>
> # chown -R /yourself  yourself/
>
> now if you correctly unmount (in Linux and in M$) each time then you
> will be able to plug in, automount and read (and write) your card
> with your current user profile.
>
> So don't boot the machine plugged in, only plug it in after you are
> in your profile and do try to unmount and unplug before you logoff -
> not vital, but good habit anyway.
>
> p.s. before I understood this problem I resorted to reformatting the
> card, but that was many years ago - totally uneccessary.

thanks for your reply.

Actually, since I rebooted the other day I could suddenly not reproduce
the problem anymore.  It just disappeared.  Still frustrating is the
fact that there's nothing pointing to the actual reason for this
behaviour.  I guess you're right, it has something to do with the card
being mounted at boot time or so.  However, I tried that today and it
didn't have any effect.  Just weird.

Thanks,
Corinna