Remote login

Hi,

I'm trying login to a Debian Lenny box from a Window XP box. I've got dumb
terminal acess working properly, but I'd like to be able to access my
desktop as well.

I've installed vnc4server on the Debian, and tightvncviewer on the Windows
box. If I run vnc4server -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 24 on the Debian, login
in via tightvncviewer and type gnome-session, it works after a fashion.

The Desktop comes up, and I can access items such as the wastebasket.
However, I can't access the top menu with Applications, Places and System on
it. It's frozen.

I'm sure this must be easy to correct, but I don't normally get involved in
this sort of thing and I don't really understand the terminology. There are
quite a few error messages on startup:

duncan debian1:~$ gnome-session
SESSION_MANAGER=local/debian1:/tmp/.ICE-unix/4085
** Message: another SSH agent is running at: /tmp/ssh-fwxDXn3909/agent.3909

** (gnome-settings-daemon:4092): WARNING **: numlock: XkbQueryExtension
returned an error

** (gnome-settings-daemon:4092): WARNING **: Neither XKeyboard not Xfree86's
keyboard extensions are available,
no way to support keyboard autorepeat rate settings

** (gnome-settings-daemon:4092): WARNING **: Unable to start a11y_keyboard
manager: XKB functionality is disabled.

** (gnome-settings-daemon:4092): WARNING **: Failed to open file
'/etc/gnome/config/General.ad': No such file or directory
Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file
/home/duncan/.metacity/sessions/default0.ms:
Failed to open file '/home/duncan/.metacity/sessions/default0.ms': No such
file or directory
Window manager warning: Log level 32: could not find XKB extension.
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":1.0" already has a window
manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window
manager.
Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file
/home/duncan/.metacity/sessions/default0.ms:
Failed to open file '/home/duncan/.metacity/sessions/default0.ms': No such
file or directory
Window manager warning: Log level 32: could not find XKB extension.
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":1.0" already has a window
manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window
manager.
Initializing gnome-mount extension
seahorse nautilus module initialized

Does anybody know how to fix this?

The other issue is that this method requires me to have already logged in as
myself using the dumb terminal. It would be useful to be able to access the
default login desktop screen which appear if I plug in a screen directly.
How do I do that?

Is there an idiot's guide to this sort of thing?

Many thanks

Duncan