Using a screen keyboard with gnome-screensaver

Hi,

I'm using gnome as a part of the Ubuntu 9.1 netbook distribution. I would like
to have a screen keyboard - any screen keyboard - pop up at the gnome
screensaver password prompt.

I've tried the recommendation from the FAQ here
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeScreensaver/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

which says:
------------
Can I embed an on-screen keyboard for use with mobile devices?

Yes. A software keyboard that supports XEmbed should work. Here is one
example:

1. Install libfakekey http://svn.o-hand.com/view/matchbox/trunk/libfakekey/
2. Install matchbox-keyboard http://projects.o-hand.com/matchbox/?p=1
3. set /apps/gnome-screensaver/embedded_keyboard_enable=TRUE
4.set /apps/gnome-screensaver/embedded_keyboard_command="matchbox-keyboard --xid"

but it doesn't seem to work. Ubuntu uses gnome-screensaver 2.28.0, and the
final two commands are entered using bash.

Does anyone know if there is a current method for embedding an onscreen
keyboard for use with the password prompt?

Thanks,
- Jonathan