Re: remove interface tab (please don't)

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:57 PM, leftyfb <leftyfb left-click org> wrote:
Here's another reason why this is a bad idea. What about the 3rd party
applications that rely on menu icons that are now turned off by default
with no easy way to turn them back on for the average user?

My example is a project called Gnome SSH Tunnel Manager (gSTM)
The application creates ssh tunnels using an easy interface. It sits in
the notification area with easy 1 click(right) access to turn tunnels on
and off while showing their running status with a red or green light
next to the name of each saved tunnel.

This application uses menu icons for it's status icons as well as the
Quit button at the bottom and "show gSTM" button at the top.

This is a screenshot of the application in use with menu icons:

http://dropbox.leftyfb.com/gstm2.png

This is a screenshot of the application in use without menu icons:

http://dropbox.leftyfb.com/gstm1.png

The docked right-click menu is now useless for determining the status of
the tunnels.

This certainly seems like a compelling argument to not remove the interface tab.

Although I was convinced prior to this.   It doesn't seem to me that it hurts anything.  Compared to the myriad of other ways someone can hose a linux system, this tab hardly seems like something to be singled out to be removed.

keep_interface_tab++;

Mike