Re: Using the word 'gnome' in an application name

On 22 Feb 2010, at 21:22, Marco Lazzaroni wrote:

> I'm workiong on a GNOME-based application and I would like to give it the name 'Gnome Fast View'.
> Is this possible or have I to ask someone in order to do that?
> Thank you very much and sorry if it's a silly question.

I am not a lawyer, but my interpretation of the trademark usage guidelines[1] is that yes, you can use the word "GNOME" (not "Gnome") in the title a GNOME application without asking for permission.

Be aware, though, that the HIG recommends not doing so for usability reasons: <http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/desktop-application-menu.html.en> (§2.1.1.2)

Cheeri,
Calum.

[1] <http://foundation.gnome.org/licensing/guidelines/>

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Sun Microsystems Ireland
mailto:calum benson sun com            OpenSolaris Desktop Team